Francesco D’Auria had born 1954, received Master degree in Nuclear Engineering in 1978 and PHD degree in Nuclear Reactor Safety in 1980 both at University of Pisa. He was awarded of a research grant from University of Pisa in 1978; then he was winner of the Assistant Professor position in 1981 at University of Pisa (area of nuclear thermal-hydraulics), of the Associate Professor position at University ‘La Sapienza’ in Rome in 1991(area of radiation applications) and the Chair (Full) Professor position at University of Pisa in 2000 (area of nuclear thermal-hydraulics), the last one being the current position. He was engaged as ‘Adjoin Professor’ at University of Genova in the period 1993-2003 (area of world energy status and planning). He is ANS member since 1981.
Since 1980 has been member in several international working groups at ANS, EC, IAEA and OECD/NEA including CSNI membership since 2016. He has been responsible for research projects valued more than 20 Million Euro in the period 2000-2015.
He was member and Chair of Technical Program in several International Conferences and member of the scientific committee for a dozen Journals. He is co-author of more than 1000 publications including more than 200 papers in Journals and around 100 reports published by International Institutions like IAEA and OECD. Recipient of various recognitions, e.g. best paper, excellent session organizer, most downloaded paper notification, etc. Key awards and achievements are:
- Foreign Member of Argentinean Academy of Science in Buenos Aires (Argentina).
- “N.A. Dollenzhal gold medal” by NIKIET in Moscow (Russia)
- Founder and Editor in Chief (during 5 years) of the Journal Science and Technology of Nuclear Installations (STNI).
- Enhancing and promoting the best use of computational tools in nuclear reactor safety including proposal of methods for validation, uncertainty, scaling and design of experiments.
- Integrating fundamental technology and understanding with application in nuclear reactor safety and licensing processes for NPP.
- General Chair of ANS NURETH-15 Conference in Pisa (Italy) 2013 and of ENS TopSafe Conferences in Dubrovnik (Croatia) 2008, Helsinki (Finland) 2012, and Vienna (Austria), 2017 .
- Editor and key Author of the Elsevier Book “Thermal Hydraulics of Water Cooled Nuclear Reactors”.
- Coordinator-promoter-author of four State of Art Reports (SOAR) published by OECD/NEA: Two-Phase Critical Flow (TPCF) in 1980, Thermal-hydraulics of Emergency Core Cooling Systems (TECC) in 1987, Boiling Water Reactor Stability (BWRS) in 1996 and Scaling (S-SOAR) in 2017.